Friday, December 21, 2012

It's More Than Just Playing Games

Being back home in the United States, I've had people tell me that they're proud of what I'm doing in Mexico. A few others, though, don't agree completely with what I'm doing. I've been told, "Stop wasting your life and do something that's worth something," and, "Playing with kids all day isn't going to get you anywhere." When I hear these things, it hurts. A lot. Especially knowing the people that these things come from. No matter how many times I explain, they don't seem to get it. What I do has a lot of worth, and it's more than just playing games:

For the kids who don't have many friends, I'm there to be that friend. Whether it be because they are poorer than the other kids or aren't liked by the other kids for some reason, I'm there to show them that those things don't matter to me, that no matter what you've done or what your financial status is, I love you for you, and nothing can change that.

For the kids that have a very poor family life and don't have much structure, I'm there to be that good example for them. I'm there to show them what they should do and to pull them away from what they shouldn't do. I'm there to show them what Jesus would do in those situations and to lead them in the way that Jesus lived. I'm there to guide them along the right path, the path that they're intended to live.

For the kids who aren't loved, who are broken, who feel worthless, who think that there's nothing left to live for, who are alone, I'm there to be there for them, but, more importantly, to show them the One who is always there. I'm there to prove to them that there is more to life than what they're living and to show them the life that God intended them to live. I'm there to show them that they are worth it, that I've given up my whole life just to be with them, and, more importantly, to show them how much worth they have in Jesus as well. I'm there to show them the true peace and joy from God that can mend any broken heart. I'm there to show them the true love of God that sees past the faults, past the insecurities, past anything that may seem bad or dirty or wrong. I'm there to give that hug, to be that father-figure, and to lead them to the true Father, who gives relentlessly everything we need without finding fault. I'm there to show them that no matter what happens, no matter who rejects them, no matter who abandons them, that I am there, and that God is always there, and He will never leave them nor forsake them.

If it wasn't for God changing my heart and making me a such better person than I was in the past, I wouldn't be doing any of this. God changed me for the better, and I'm glad He did. If anyone disagrees with what I'm doing, then they can. Will that stop me from pursuing the calling that God has placed on my life? Not a chance. My life is more than just being a playmate. It's about bringing the true love, joy, and peace from God to these kids, whether it be by playing tag or by just giving them the attention they deserve. Nothing will ever stop me from living the new life God has given me.



"Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain." - 1 Corinthians 15:58

No comments:

Post a Comment