Thursday, February 28, 2013

Searching For More [Than Just Toys]

I know I just posted a post yesterday, but, after what happened today, I had to share this:

I was outside chilling with Carlos and Jesús today, and, once again, I noticed a kid in the barranco (valley or ravine. It's where the people in this area throw their trash). This kid, however, seemed to be throwing bottles at someone. I thought he was trying to hit someone with them. Once he went down the ravine a bit, I walked over to it to see who else was down there.

He was with two other girls, whom I presumed were his sisters. Turns out, he was throwing the bottles to his older sister, who would inspect them, then toss them or keep them. It didn't look like she kept any of them, though. At one point, she smelled one of them. I really had no idea what they were doing. My mind went back to the day I met the one kid, Miguel (again, don't be confused with this Miguel). I thought that these kids were doing the same thing as him. After confirming with Carlos and Jesús about what the kids were doing, I felt the strongest pull to talk to them. I noticed that the oldest girl saw me looking at them, so I had to wait for the right moment to talk to them. Part of me didn't want to bother them, but I just kept saying to myself, "I have to talk to them, I have to talk to them..." Once I saw that they stopped and were talking to someone, I decided that I needed to go then. While I was walking to where the kids were, I asked for God to move me where He wanted me to go. Part of me expected God to stop me, only because I thought it was me wanting to talk to them. I have to keep reminding myself that it's not because of me that I'm here. It's because God gave me the heart, compassion, and the calling to help these kids.

As I got closer to them, I noticed that they had received a bag of rolls from the guy they talked to (I learned later that the guy they talked to worked at a rehab center. That's where he got the rolls from). As I got closer, I asked, "Wait, wait!" The three turned around and looked at me. "Why were looking in the trash over there?"
The oldest girl answered for the three of them, "We were looking for toys for her (referring to her little sister)." I thought to myself, That can't be true. They had to have been looking for something to sell or something like that. Even if that it was true, that's definitely not a good place to be looking for toys.
"Oh. What's your name?"
I can't remember the girls's names, but the boy's name is José. I can't remember the girl's names because they were names I hadn't heard before. I wanted to know their names, but, now thinking about it, I felt that might have been too forward. I don't know. I just wanted to help them.
"Oh, ok. Well, in the future, if you ever need help with anything, no matter what (I said this to show them that they wouldn't be a bother to me), I can help you. I live in the church over there, and, whenever you need to, come to the church, and we can help you."
"Ok, thank you."
She actually said something different, but then changed it to thank you. I'm not sure what it was, but I really hope it wasn't something like, "Yeah, right." For some reason, I feel that it was, but I really don't know.

As I walked away, I heard them say, "Hey, boy!" I turned around and went back to them. The older girl asked me if I could give her a dollar. She thought about what the word was in English, and then asked me. I guess she thought that I only had dollars since I was American. Oh, stereotypes. I'm not really sure why she said dollar in English when the word is the same in Spanish. She used the English pronunciation, too. Hmmm. I told her that I only had pesos and asked her what she needed them for. She said to buy two kilos of tortillas. I only had fifteen pesos on me that I could give to them, and  I told her about one of the stores that sells two kilos for eighteen pesos, which is pretty cheap (I accidentally said sixteen, though. I really hope everything went ok, still). She said that was fine, said thanks, and walked away.

I couldn't stop thinking about what had just happened. The older girl looked about 13 or 14, the boy was between 8 and 10, and the younger girl looked about 5. They all had ratted, dirty clothes. I knew that they had to be in the same situation as Miguel. About halfway back to the church, I froze. I just stood there as my eyes watered up. I couldn't get the thought out of my head that the only things they were possibly going to eat today were those rolls and some tortillas. I have no idea where they live or even if they have a place to live. I have no idea who their parents might be or if their parents even care about them. All I wanted to do in that moment was cry for them. I couldn't imagine living like that. Now, thinking about all of the times that I complained when I was younger about a certain food I don't like or a toy I didn't like, and my mom saying to me, "You better appreciate what you have. There's kids out there who don't have any of these things." Here they were. Right in front of me. And I talked to them. I just want to find them and bring them here to the church and help them with whatever they need. I want to be able to show them God's love and tell them how much God loves them and cares for them, truly. I want to let them know that there's more to live than what they're living.

Unfortunately, I can't hunt them down. I mean, I could walk up to every house and look for them, but then I'd probably get the cops called on me. Not about to let that happen. That's why there's such a great need for an orphanage in this area. There isn't one. The closest one that I know of is by the beach, and that's 40 minutes in a car, 1 1/2 hours by taxi, and I don't even know how long it would take to walk there. Pastor Elvis and I have been discussing it, and we are already making plans for an orphanage. Of course, it's just plans right now. We're looking to buy this one building two houses over from the church, plus adding two buildings like it to make the orphanage. Unfortunately, it costs a lot. We need your help:

  1. Pray for us. A lot. Pray for God to bless us or send someone our way to bless us with what we need to start the orphanage. Pray that God continues to show us what we need to do to get it started. Pray that God opens the doors for us to get started.
  2. If you can, donate. Anything is appreciated. Truly. We are starting a separate fund for just the orphanage. Anything that is donated for the orphanage will only go towards the orphanage.
Also, please, please pray for those kids. I truly cannot stop thinking about them. Pray that they actually come  to the church. I forgot to tell them about the program this Saturday (figures), but please pray that they somehow come to it. Pray that they come around here again so that I can tell them about it and help them more. More importantly, pray that they see that it's not me who's doing this. It's God who led me to do it. It's God who loves and cares so deeply for them. I do, too, but only because God has changed my heart, not me. Also pray that Miguel comes back around here, too. I've been saving bottles for him, and I have too many to fit in the bag. I need to give them to him. Also, I need to help him, too. All of these kids need God's amazing, indescribable love, and I won't stop until they all have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment